Week Three Prompt Response

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

To ensure I recommend the correct book in the series, I would clarify with the patron the title of the book they recently read in the series. Once I have that clarification, I can be confident that I recommend the next book in the series. 

Through Novelist, I searched "Laurell K. Hamilton" and "Anita Blake." In the drop-down menus, I chose Author and Series. This pulled up the entire Anita Blake series in order.  I would recommend the fourth book in the series, The Lunatic Cafe.

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

I searched for books on Novelist that are lyrical and thought-provoking, similar to Prodigal Summer, but added the term "fast-paced" to my search terms. I would recommend the novel Atomic Anna by Rachel Barenbaum. Its writing style is similar to Prodigal Summer but is a more fast-paced read. 

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

I would recommend The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery. I searched the terms "Japan," "historical," and "descriptive." This novel meets all those requirements!  

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

I would first ask if the patron has read any other books in the Thomas Lynley series by Elizabeth George. I would suggest the next book in the series For the Sake of Elena. If they are looking for something written by another author, I would recommend Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Mysteries. This series is listed in the "read-alikes" column on Novelist. 

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

I would recommend Daybreak by Brian Ralph. This is another graphic novel that centers around a zombie apocalypse and is suggested for fans of The Walking Dead. 

If the patron's husband is not interested in a graphic novel, I would suggest The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse by Steven Schlozman. I found this suggestion by typing "zombie apocalypse" on Novelist. 

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

I was unsure of how to search for this at first. I tried "books to movies" on Novelist but was not having much luck. I then saw an article titled "page to screen." I tried that and received many results! I set the time frame from 2018-2024. 

I would recommend The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins if the patron does not mind reading a YA novel. It is the prequel to the Hunger Games series and its movie counterpart came out in 2023. If a YA novel is not what the patron is looking for, I would suggest Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. It is a fiction novel from 2018 and the movie was released in 2022. 

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

For this request, I searched for thrillers that are described as "cozy" and "gentle reads." I would recommend Cynthia Riggs for someone looking for thrillers without sexual content and foul language. I would recommend her novel Deadly Nightshade. It fits all the categories the patron is looking for!

I used to find books to read through Goodreads but stopped using the app over a year ago. Since then, I usually get book recommendations from social media (Tik Tok and Twitter) as well as recommendations from friends. I am always curious as to what they are reading and will add the titles to my TBR list. 

Comments

  1. I really liked that you described your thought process and the process that you went through to find each of the materials that you were looking for. That is so helpful for others to understand how other people may go looking for materials for others. It would also be helpful to describe the process to patrons if they want the chance to go looking for more materials for themselves, if they wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you walked us through finding all the book recs. I think you picked excellent choices. Great job on this prompt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts