Week 11 Prompt Response


When I was younger, I was opposed to the idea of audiobooks and e-books. I only wanted to read a book if I could physically hold it in my hands. Then for five years, I stopped reading entirely. When I returned to reading, I decided to try out both mediums and see if either one was a good fit for me. 

I like audiobooks because of their accessibility and ability to immerse readers in the story, but I struggle to focus while listening to them. I used to drive an hour each day for work so this was the perfect opportunity to start listening to audiobooks. I tried out a few different ones and enjoyed a few but ultimately decided they were not for me. 

I am extremely picky when it comes to audiobooks as I know many other readers are as well. The narrator can make or break an audiobook. I've started an audiobook and immediately turned it off because I disliked the narrator so much. Some sites, like Audible, let you listen to a sample of the audio before purchasing. This feature helps significantly when picking out an audiobook especially if you plan on purchasing the book. Cahill and Moore discuss the significance of narration and how it impacts the reader's experience. They write, "The narration must flow with the pacing of the action in the text; suspenseful and action-packed dialogue and scenes must be read with appropriate speed while those portions of the text meant to be savored or that evoke feelings need to be read more slowly (Cahill & Moore, 2017, p. 24). It's not just their voice that is important but the overall tone and pacing. The few audiobooks I have enjoyed have been romance novels that feature dual narration. Having two different narrators for the hero and heroine makes the listening experience really enjoyable. It's easier for me to get immersed in a story when there are two narrators versus one narrator voicing both roles. 

Even though I do not enjoy audiobooks all that much, I appreciate what they offer readers. Audiobooks allow readers to engage in the act of reading while multitasking. My mother is someone who enjoys reading but has told me on numerous occasions she never has time to. Recently, she joined a book club and has been taking advantage of audiobooks. She was purchasing all her books through Audible but I finally convinced her to get a library card and borrow through Libby or Hoopla. She was so excited to share with me when she finally got her card and downloaded both apps. Through her experience, I've gotten to see how audiobooks really help those who want to read but may not have the time or patience for physical or e-books. 

I never thought I would own an e-reader but I gave it a chance two years ago. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Don't get me wrong, I still love reading physical copies of books but e-books have enriched my reading experience. I find that I read much quicker on an e-reader than with physical books. One of the features of e-books that makes them so appealing is that you can change the font size and even the lighting of the e-reader. These features make e-books and e-readers appealing to so many readers including myself. 

One of the biggest appeals of both audiobooks and e-books is that they are easily accessible. One does not have to leave the comfort of their home to borrow books. I have recommended Libby and Hoopla to many friends and coworkers who have told me they want to read more but lack the time or energy. I have even converted a few people to e-readers who swore they would never enjoy them! 

References

Cahill, M., & Moore, J. (2017). A sound history. Children & Libraries: The Journal of the Association for Library Service to Children, 15(1), 22-29. Academic Search Complete. 


Comments

  1. Hi Hanna! I totally relate to what you said about audiobooks - the narrator really can make or break the listening experience! I grew up listening to audiobooks in the car and I know my family turned away from several books completely when the narration didn't sit right with us. And don't get me started on when a series' narrator swapped out halfway through! I do love audiobooks though, especially now when it feels like I'm reading all day for work and school - not only is an audiobook great for multitasking like you said, but also great for eye strain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight and wonderful response!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts